A Southern Christmas at the Blare's
Celebrating Christmas Southern-style
Have you ever had Christmas Southern-style? I have. I've had it southern, northern and everywhere in between! What makes a Christmas Southern-style? Well, good southern cookin' of course! And a pup around to gobble up the crumbs. LOL
To complete the jamboree and introduce my Wyoming friends and family to a bit of Southern Christmas, I made my Grandma's SWEET POTATO PIE. Homemade from scratch., this pie melts in your mouth and adds about 6 inches to your waist line but is worth it!
Want to try it?
Just kidding! Here's the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Boil sweet potatoes until they are tender and can be poked through with a fork.
- Drain potatoes of water, saving 1/2 cup of potato water and keep it with the diced potatoes.
- Add butter/margarine and mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Add sugar, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, and evaporated milk.
- Mix potato batter until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into uncooked pie crusts and bake at 375 degrees until set, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 90 minutes.
- Reminder: Makes 2 delicious pies.